General Services & Information

Location, Contact & Hours

Caroline Health and Public Services Building
Second Floor, Room 248
403 S. 7th Street
Denton, Maryland 21629

Phone: (410) 479-8045, Dial 7-1-1 to place a call through Maryland Relay.

Fax: (410) 479-4082


Rabies After Hours Emergency Line: (410) 829-5910, Dial 7-1-1 to place a call through Maryland Relay.

Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We are closed on Maryland State employee holidays.

Property Record Search

Certain property records, including percolation, septic, well, and other documents maintained by this department may be considered public records and may be accessed by the public after review by the custodian of the records. 

​The fastest and least expensive way to access records is to complete our online Records Search Request Form. There is no charge for documents that can be emailed to the applicant.

You may also request hard copies of documents. Copying fees are $0.25 per page, with a minimum charge of $1.00. To request hard copies of records, please call our office at (410) 479-8045.

Water & Sewer Verification (WSV)

An application for a water supply and/or sewer verification (WSV) is required as part of the building permit process any time a property has an existing well (including farm and test wells) and/or a septic system. The exception to this requirement is when an applicant consolidates improved or unimproved parcels or lots.  However, the plat may be required to show improvements and existing wells and septic systems.

Examples of projects requiring a WSV include:

  • Accessory Dwelling Units
  • Accessory Structures (sheds, garages, residential pole buildings, etc.)
  • Commercial Alteration
  • Commercial Addition
  • Commercial – Misc.
  • Deck/Patio/Porch
  • Demolition
  • Driveway
  • Farm Structure
  • Home Occupation Use
  • Lot Line Revision (not required when consolidating lots/parcels**)
  • Pools
  • Residential Addition
  • Residential Alteration
  • Residential – Misc.
  • Sidewalks or Fencing
  • Single Family Dwelling
  • Solar Panels (Ground Mounted)
  • Special Use/Change of Use
  • Sewage Reserve Area (SRA) Revision
  • Subdivision Review (existing structures or SRA)
  • Temporary Structure
  • Others, such as communications tower, sign, etc.

If you are unsure if your project requires a water/sewer verification, contact the Caroline County Department of Planning and Codes at (410) 479-8100.

Application for Water/Sewage Verification 

Your application must include:

  • Scaled site plan that shows proposed improvement, existing well/septic, driveway, home(s), sheds, pools etc. and property lines (existing and proposed).
  • Floor plan of existing home and proposed addition or proposed replacement home, or proposed accessory dwelling.  
  • Application fee
  • Please note: The application must include the “wet signature” or physical signature of the property owner of record or their designee. No electronic signatures will be accepted. If the application is signed by an authorized designee, the application must be accompanied by a completed Authorization Form.
Applications & Fees

Applications for the different Environmental Health permits and approvals required are linked within each subtopic under the Environmental Health section of the website. If you are having difficulty locating what you need, please try to search bar or contact our office directly.

Complaints & Appeals


The Environmental Health Division strives to provide friendly, helpful service to each person who comes in contact with our staff. 

If you have concerns or a complaint about an issue or an interaction with Environmental Health staff, you may contact the Division Director by phone, mail, or email. 

Joshua Parker
Environmental Health Director
(410) 479-8045

Caroline County Health Department
Attn: Joshua Parker
Director of Environmental Health
403 S. 7th Street, Room 248
Denton, MD 21629

If you are unable to receive a satisfactory resolution to your complaint, you may contact Health Officer Robin Cahall. 


Certain decisions by Caroline County environmental Health staff may be appealed to the Maryland Department of the Environment. These include:

  • Sewage disposal (COMAR 26.04.02) 
  • Water supply and sewage systems in subdivisions (COMAR 26.04.03)
  • Well construction (COMAR 26.04.04)
  • Water supply, sewage disposal and solid waste (COMAR 26.04.05)

Certain decisions by Caroline County environmental Health staff may be appealed to the Maryland Department of Health. These include:

  • Camp Program (COMAR 10.16.03) 
  • Communicable Disease (COMAR 10.16.01) 
  • Mobile Home Park (COMAR 10.16.02)
  • Food Facilities (COMAR 10.15.03)
  • Food Processing (COMAR 10.15.04)

These decisions may be in regard to the grant, denial, renewal, suspension or amendment of a license, certificate, certification, permit or registration that is required by statute (Application).  The authority to make these decisions is based in Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR), Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), and/or through Delegation Agreement(s) with other state agencies.

For complete information about your appeal rights and the process to file an appeal, download our Appeal Process for Approving Authority Decisions Guide